Last week Apple released iOS 15.5 and iPad 15.5 RC build. Therefore, it was already expected that Apple will soon release the iOS 15.5 and iPad 15.5 to the public soon. Apple released iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 to the public on Monday. The update makes no major changes, but it does improve the Apple Cash and Podcasts apps.
iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 are smaller in scale than previous iOS 15 releases. On iPhone 12 Pro the update size was 672.4 MB.
We did not expect it to be larger than that because there are not so many significant features in this software update. Mostly there are bug fixes and feature enhancements.
All the apple devices that are compatible with iOS 15 will receive the iOS 15.5 update. We have mentioned iOS devices that will receive the iOS 15.5 update.
iPhones that are compatible with iOS 15.5
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPads that are compatible with iOS 15.5
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch
- (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
Keep in mind that Apple will discontinue support for the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE 2016. Making iOS 15.5 update one of the last major iOS updates for the aforementioned devices.
New features in iOS 15.5
According to Apple, iOS 15.5 improves Apple Cash by allowing users to more easily request and send money from the Apple Cash card in the Wallet app. There’s also a new feature in Apple Podcasts to help you save storage space on your iPhone, as well as some HomeKit bug fixes.
According to Apple, the following are the full release notes for iOS 15.5:
iOS 15.5 includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
- Wallet now enables Apple Cash customers to send and request money from their Apple Cash card
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your iPhone and automatically delete older ones
- Fixes an issue where home automations, triggered by people arriving or leaving, may fail
How to Update
Go to the Settings app, then General > Software Update to update your devices. More information regarding the security updates introduced with iOS 15.5 may be found on Apple’s website.
It’s unclear whether this is the final update before the first iOS 16 betas, which is expected to release in June, shortly after WWDC 2022.
Keep in mind that Apple is already working on iOS 16, and iOS 16 is scheduled to be presented to developers and testing on June 6 at the opening of the Worldwide Developers Conference. Therefore iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 could be some of the final updates to the iOS 15 operating system.
There won’t be any new features in upcoming updates of iOS 15 because Apple will now include the new features in iOS 16. In our opinion, Apple will now provide bug fixes and security updates in iOS 15.
We will update this article once we test this update more effectively. If you enjoyed reading this article please share it with your friends and colleagues.